Great Gay Beach Locations in the U.S.
Whether you're straight, gay, or just curious, visiting a gay beach can be a lot of fun. Beaches especially set aside for gay or curious men and women can be found all over the world. And luckily enough, some of the best of them are right here in the USA.
It doesn't matter what you go to the beach to do-- show off your body, look at others, meet people, or just catch a little sun and waves, a gay beach is a really fun place to do it. What follows is a list of popular beaches in America that are set aside for LGBTs. Some of these beaches are really well known... and others are a well-kept (until now, I guess) secret.
And hey, if you have a beach you would like added to the list, Please use the form at the bottom of the page to send it in!
Arizona Gay Beaches
- Tanque Verde Falls, Tucson - Okay, okay... no, this isn't a beach. You can't expect to find many real beaches in the desert state! That said, this is a great gay swimming hole and for desert-dwellers, it's the place to head to the water. Tanque Verde is located east of Tucson-- the trail to Upper Tanque Verde Falls has signs to mark the location.
California Gay Beaches
- West Street Beach,Laguna Beach - This is such a gorgeous beach! And a fun one, too. The swimming here is really good but watch our for the undertow. This is a popular and well-known gay beach so arrive early. If you get in late, parking can be a real problem.
- Will Rogers State Beach - This beach is often called Ginger Rogers Beach and has volleyball courts and lots of room. Stop by Patrick’s Road House for a beer after the beach.
- Venice Beach – Enjoy the people watching and activities on the Ocean Front Walk.
- Baker Beach – Head to the North end of this popular nude beach in San Francisco.
- Golden Gate Bridge Beach – This San Francisco beach can become very crowded. It is also known as Nasty Boy Beach. Head here to walk in the water during low tide.
- Lands End Beach – To get to this small beach in San Francisco take the trail from the parking lot up the road from the Cliff House. It’s a fairly long walk to a beach that is often windy.
- Black Sand Beach – Marin County – The beach stays warm due to the black sand a bluff that shelters the wind. Go to this beach for great views of San Francisco but be prepared for a long and precarious trail to get there.
- Red Rock Beach – Marin County – Located just south of Stinson on Highway 1. It is mostly a nude crowd.
- Muir Beach – Marin County – About 6 miles north of San Francisco on Highway 1. Take the path from the Muir Beach lot and go north when you reach the beach.
- Russian River – Guerneville – About a 20 minute walk from the Wohler Bridge is a beachy spot on the riverbank. It’s a mostly nude crowd and be careful; the current is very strong.
- Poodle Beach & Rehoboth Beach – The gayest beach in the mid-Atlantic region. Head there on Labor day for a wild day of drag volleyball.This is the last beach in Rehoboth and becomes extremely crowded with a mainly younger crowd.
- North Shores Rehoboth Beach – This is primarily a lesbian beach with some older men. There is a $5 per car parking charge.
- South Beach – Visit from November through April for a high energy, laid back, urban and trendy experience. The beach at 12th St. and Ocean is very popular.
- Smathers Beach – This Key West beach has Florida charm with shallow water and practically no chance of an undertow.
- Dania Beach – Located in an area near Fort Lauderdale known as the Antique capital of the South.
- Fort Lauderdale Gay Beach
- Haulover Beach, Miami – Florida’s only legal nude beach has a gay section.
- Pass-A-Grille – Not as well known, this beach has beautiful white sand. Located at the south end of St. Pete Beach in St. Petersburg.
- Crescent Beach – This barrier island near Sarasota has incredible white sand.
- North Lido Beach – Secluded beach located near Sarasota.
- Holiday Isle – If you want to party, head to this location in the upper Keys.
- Ponte Vedra Beach – Located 20 miles SE of Jacksonville.
- Sebastian Street A1A – Fort Lauderdale's most popular gay beach.
- Terramar Street & A1A – This Fort Lauderdale beach is where tourists staying at the gay resorts often go
- NE 18th & A1A – A Fort Lauderdale beach popular with locals.
- Sunset Beach – Head to the “Bedrocks Beach” section of this city park in Treasure Island.
- Fort Desoto Park – 3500 Pinellas Bayway S., Tierra Verde, FL
- Little Beach, Maui – The tropical sun can cause some severe burns so make sure to bring your sunscreen and umbrella. An extremely diverse crowd at this well known nude beach has straights, gays, locals and tourists – clothed and nude – mixing happily in the sun.
- Honokohau Harbor Beach, Big Island – The north end of this beach off of Highway 19 is the gay beach.
- Queen's Surf, Oahu – Located in Kapiolani Park at the Diamond Head end of Waikiki is the premier gay beach.
- Diamond Head, Oahu – A short hike from Waikiki is a fairly secluded beach. The gayest area is below the lighthouse. Take plenty of water because there are not any facilities.
- Donkey Beach, Kauai – Go north of Kapaa to between mile markers 11 and 12 on Highway #56.
- Lydgate State Park, Kauai – South of the Wailua River off of Highway #56. Go south from the parking lot.
- Kauapea Beach Kauai - Commonly known as Secret Beach this beach with spectacular scenery is tough to find. Go North on Highway #56. When you go past the Kolo Rd turnoff to Kilauea and then go right on Kalihiwai Rd. Curve to the left then head right onto an unpaved road and continue to the end. The trail down to the beach is steep and difficult.
- Wailea Bay, Hawaii – Take Hwy 19 to Mile Marker 71 and turn into Puako Village. At Old Puako Road turn right and then take the gravel road at telephone pole #67.
- Kehena Beach, This beach with fine black sand also has strong currents. Take Highway 137 to mile marker 19.
- Hollywood Beach – Chicago – Head to the southern end of the beach which is also known as Kathy Osterman Beach. More Information
- Ogunquit Beach – The area swells from 1,000 residents to 45,000 tourists on summer days.
- Herring Cove, Provincetown – People at this beach separate into a women's, bisexual and men's section. Continue walking west along Herring Cove and you will eventually come to the very tip of Cape Cod.
- Race Point Beach, Provincetown – This beach is just beyond Herring Cove and is wider and sandier. It has a lot of families but is also gay friendly.
- Cliffs at Aquinnah, Martha's Vineyard – A very beautiful beach nestled at the foot of the cliffs. Head to the right for the large gay section.
Michigan Gay Beaches
- Oval Beach, Saugatuck/Douglas – These 2 communities are a major gay draw in the Midwest. The beach on Lake Michigan has sugary sand and the crowd on the beach can be quite tranquil. Stay for the evening and enjoy the active gay community in town. More Information
- Lake Mead, Las Vegas – Take a 45 minute drive to this huge man made lake. Take a beach umbrella since there isn’t much shade and the desert gets extremely hot. Drive south to Henderson and turn east onto Lake Mead Parkway. At North Shore Road turn left toward Overton. After about 5 miles turn right onto the gravel 8 Mile Road. Head north for a couple hundred feet from the parking area.
New York Beaches
- Fire Island – This is a very popular spot and if you go for the weekend make sure to arrange lodging ahead of time. If you are heading back to the city make sure to check the train or ferry schedule. A diverse gay population makes this a spot for those with almost any taste.
Oregon Gay Beaches
- Keno Rock Road Quarry – Ashland – Head out on SR66 and then on Dead Indian Highway for 20 miles. This old quarry has very cold water but has a laid back atmosphere.
- Hippie Hallow – Austin – Popular nude beach for straights and gays. Lake Travis is just a short distance from Austin.
- Rock River – Brattleboro – On the Rock River there are several large pools between Brattleboro and Newfane. The third pool upriver is mostly gay and mostly nude. It isn’t unusual to see some sexual activity in the trees.
- Mazo Beach – Sauk City – One of the most popular nude beaches in the Midwest. It’s about a mile walk from the parking lot so bring your shoes. It’s located between Sauk City and Mazomanie off of U.S. 12.
Return from Gay Beach to www.tips-for-the-beach.com
Have You Found the Perfect Beach?
Share the entire list of beaches you've visited or just your one or two favorites. Were any particularly interesting or out of the way? Share your list and stories.